Friday, October 10, 2008

Gallus Domesticus facts

That's Latin for chicken. It's molting season and egg production is way down. The girls look terrible. Most are practically naked and new feathers are not attractive when they are coming in. Apparently molting is triggered by lower light levels and after molting young chickens eggs will get bigger.

-Chickens were domesticated about 8000 years ago.
I thought this one was pretty interesting, 8000 years, wow.
-A hen lives an average of 5-7 years, but can live up to 20 years. She'll lay eggs her entire life, with production decreasing every year from year one.
I get asked a lot how long a chicken lives. Until now I didn't know. I get asked this because I have no intentions of eating my chickens. My girls are here to lay eggs and have a peaceful, lovely life eating bugs and being cute. So far my oldest chickens are 3.

Remember, spread the word, spread the love, be a Good Egg.



No comments: